Developing your employability skills is essential to your future success and we are here to help.
There are a range of resources available on the Employability Essentials course on the VLE (listed under Glasgow Clyde Student Courses) to help you with writing a CV or covering letter, completing application forms and preparing for interview. You can also speak to a member of the Student Advice Team for additional support.
Job Searching Hints and Tips
If you are looking for a job these hints and tips might help you out:
- Check out local newspapers for jobs in your area
- Go online and use job search websites such as:
- Head to your local shopping centres and into the city centre to look for adverts placed in shop windows
- Take lots of copies of your CV to hand into businesses, even if you don’t see an advert on the window. Ask in shops if they are looking for staff, even if they are not they might keep your details for future reference.
- Register with recruitment agencies and they will keep you up to date with any vacancies that suit your needs.
- Look in free local newspapers / magazines that might have vacancy adverts in them. Check notice boards in newsagent’s windows too.
- Try larger organisations including supermarkets, coffee shops, pubs, restaurants, fast food chains, hotels, cinemas, high street shops as they will often advertise on their own website.
Remember looking for a job can almost be a job in itself; you need to put in time and effort to achieve success!